Rheumatoid Arthritis and Food Allergy
Clinical and laboratory studies in a patient whose rheumatoid arthritis appeared to be exacerbated by dairy produce showed that challenge with milk and cheese resulted in a produced increase in synovitis and changes in immune complexes, IgE antibodies, and heat-damaged red cell clearance rates. Exclusion of dairy products from the diet produced a considerable improvement in her previously aggressive disease.
- Paganelli R, Levinsky RJ, Brostoff J, Wraith DG. Immune complexes containing food proteins in normal and atopic subjects after oral challenge and effect of sodium cromoglycate on antigen absorption. Lancet. 1979 Jun 16;1(8129):1270–1272.
- Brostoff J, Carini C, Wraith DG, Johns P. Production of IgE complexes by allergen challenge in atopic patients and the effect of sodium cromoglycate. Lancet. 1979 Jun 16;1(8129):1268–1270. [PubMed]
- Cunningham-Rundles C, Brandeis WE, Good RA, Day NK. Milk precipitins, circulating immune complexes, and IgA deficiency. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1978 Jul;75(7):3387–3389. [PubMed]
- Cunningham-Rundles C, Brandeis WE, Safai B, O’Reilly R, Day NK, Good RA. Selective IgA deficiency and circulating immune complexes containing bovine proteins in a child with chronic graft versus host disease. Am J Med. 1979 Nov;67(5):883–890.
- Ritchie DM, Boyle JA, McInnes JM, Jasani MK, Dalakos TG, Grieveson P, Buchanan WW. Clinical studies with an articular index for the assessment of joint tenderness in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Q J Med. 1968 Jul;37(147):393–406. [PubMed]
- Zubler RH, Lange G, Lambert PH, Miescher PA. Detection of immune complexes in unheated sera by modified 125I-Clq binding test. Effect of heating on the binding of Clq by immune complexes and application of the test to systemic lupus erythematosus. J Immunol. 1976 Jan;116(1):232–235. [PubMed]
- Elkon KB, Sewell JR, Ryan PF, Hughes GR. Splenic function in non-renal systemic lupus erythematosus. Am J Med. 1980 Jul;69(1):80–82. [PubMed]
- Wide L, Bennich H, Johansson SG. Diagnosis of allergy by an in-vitro test for allergen antibodies. Lancet. 1967 Nov 25;2(7526):1105–1107. [PubMed]
- Lessof MH, Wraith DG, Merrett TG, Merrett J, Buisseret PD. Food allergy and intolerance in 100 patients—local and systemic effects. Q J Med. 1980;49(195):259–271. [PubMed]
- Kraehenbuhl JP, Campiche MA. Early stages of intestinal absorption of specific antibiodies in the newborn. An ultrastructural, cytochemical, and immunological study in the pig, rat, and rabbit. J Cell Biol. 1969 Aug;42(2):345–365. [PubMed]
- Matthew DJ, Taylor B, Norman AP, Turner MW. Prevention of eczema. Lancet. 1977 Feb 12;1(8007):321–324. [PubMed]
- Korenblat PE, Rothberg RM, Minden P, Farr RS. Immune responses of human adults after oral and parenteral exposure to bovine serum albumin. J Allergy. 1968 Apr;41(4):226–235. [PubMed]
- Walker WA, Isselbacher KJ. Uptake and transport of macromolecules by the intestine. Possible role in clinical disorders. Gastroenterology. 1974 Sep;67(3):531–550. [PubMed]
- Atherton DJ, Sewell M, Soothill JF, Wells RS, Chilvers CE. A double-blind controlled crossover trial of an antigen-avoidance diet in atopic eczema. Lancet. 1978 Feb 25;1(8061):401–403.